April 27, 2009

Messes

This morning I feel like I'm cleaning up mess after mess that my boys seemingly delight in making. Some are from attempting something new. Some are from trying to be helpful. Others are just childishness -- boys being boys. I could get upset or I could view it with humor. I've done both as well as a variety of mixtures between the two extremes. In the midst of sweeping my floor, I thought about Scripture verses regarding "pouring out sacrifices" and chuckled then started to think about how many messes God deals with.

God isn't afraid of messes. He's like, "Bring on the messes!"

God can handle the mess. Sometimes people mess up their lives. Sometimes messes are thrust upon you. Sometimes messes just happen. When we take our messes to God, He can make something beautiful out of it. Nothing and no one is too messy for Him to love, comfort, heal, redeem and make new again.

Just last week a young man came to our church. It took him an hour to come inside -- such was the battle raging with him. Before entering he said, "I'll just see if there is acceptance for me in God's church!" He was welcomed. And God accepted him when he prayed and asked Jesus into his life. God does that.

This morning I was reading a sweet though painful story of the short life of a baby. Through the mess of disappointment and grief, God will heal, restore, and bring peace and beauty. Beauty out of ashes.

When I bring to mind how God handles messes in my life, it is so much easier to deal gracefully with these little boy caused messes.

God doesn't get tired either! He'll handle as many messes as we will entrust to Him.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

No comments: