November 30, 2009

Adopt: to take by choice into a relationship

We have a couple of adoptions in our family tree. I pondered what I should do, how I should record this. What do professional genealogists do in these cases? How should my family tree best reflect this?

In one case, the biological father is unknown but I found the adoptive father. In another circumstance, the biological father and grandparents are known as well as the adoptive dad. I desired to record the biological information as well as the men who were the daddies and gave of their whole selves and their name to their adopted sons.

As I contemplated this, a particular thought came to mind: God's view of adoption. There are two genealogies in the Gospels for Jesus. One is for Mary and one is for Joseph. Neither is deemed more important than the other. In this way, God honored Joseph for being His son's adoptive earthly father. At the same time, we know from where Jesus came since He is God's only begotten Son. We can know the past from where we have come and live in our present position of sonship.

And so, I've determined to follow the adoptive lineages as well as record the known biological lineage giving thanks and honor to the daddies who loved and raised another man's son.

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. - I John 3:1-2

No comments: