September 15, 2008

Where are all the flashlights?!?!

As I was playing on the computer last night the house suddenly went dark and quiet. Very dark. The remnants of Ike had knocked out our power.

I felt around for the flashlight which wasn't there. Then I started searching for matches. It wasn't long before I heard footsteps on the stairs approaching. Josiah and Nathan were awake and probably wondering what happened to their nightlight. Even Noah woke up .... probably from hearing me gathering the jar candles from my room.

We only found one working flashlight. All the others we found didn't have batteries. Who knew? We lit plenty of candles and even two oil lamps.

John rocked Noah until he was calm enough to go back to sleep. Meanwhile, the boys and I hung out together talking about electricity, its invention and what people did before it was harnessed.


One of the oil lamps we used is an old one that has been hanging in our basement for a very, very long time. It was fuel for the imagination to wonder how old it is. I told Josiah that since I couldn't find a date on it, I'll have to do some research on it.

John said he did not get to watch the end of the Steelers game. The power returned shortly after the game ended.

It was a fun little spontaneous adventure that lent itself to sharing and learning.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You guys should lose power more often. ;) Why is it that the batteries are always dead when you need them most?